9 November 2009

Knots











One argument goes that if we don’t define what we want then we might get something we don’t want. On the other hand if we specify too tightly then we miss out on exploring better, unforeseen answers. There is a verse of modern poetry by RD Laing, from his book 'Knots', which captures this situation:



If I don’t know I don’t know


I think I know


If I don’t know I know


I think I don’t know



We may need to read his words twice – but we all recognise the bewildering truth he describes. There is a crucial question at the heart of every brief: are we trying to define an answer or define a question? If you believe, as I do, that design is much more than a means of delivering utility, then the answer lies in getting the questions right.

0 Views:

www.statcounter.com

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP